Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Websites

So I admittedly spent a lot more time on the PBS website because it was more fun.  I think the thing I found really interesting was that my expectations for the future labeled me as having a "trailer park" outlook, but when furnishing my "house", everything I picked was a display of money.  I don't know why, maybe it's just because I have been really stressed this week, but I couldn't find anything pertaining to what we're studying in class.  I have a total lack of concentration because of my upcoming psychology test.  So yeah.  But nonetheless, I'm going to try and write something that makes sense!

Economic inequality is a major feminist issue because without economic equality, women cannot live the same way that men do, which could mean anything from not being able to live without being married, to simply not being able to have the same advantages for her family that a man can with a larger paycheck. I don't understand why, at this point in time, we're still fighting for equality with pay of all things.   I feel as though this issue should have been solved a long time ago when women started getting the same education as men.  I was wondering if there were any statistics that showed whether women bosses were still paying women differently, or men for that matter.  Having those statistics could hint as to whether changing the ratio of men to women in the workplace, as well as the importance of those positions, would be key to changing things once and for all. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. To address your questions of pay I would like to say that I was informed that (at least in some cases) men and women are offered a similar if not equal starting pay. The issue is that men tend to be more aggressive when negotiating for a larger starting pay then women do. I am not personally sure why this is, but perhaps it is linked to the way in which society imprints certain ideology onto men and women. I do know that some women, when they are young are taught to be more reserved and "proper" while men are thought to be more aggressive and to push. In my case, my brothers would always tell me that I have to be aggressive (I sometimes tend to be a little more reserved) and push for what I want or else I will be short changed. I wonder how this has changed over time and if this is still valid. Also, I wonder if this differs based on class and geographical location.

    ReplyDelete