Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Tsunami in History- Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner, Fear of Feminism- Lisa Maria Hogeland

Hyperlinks, based on this passage from Fear of Feminism:

"For women who are survivors of men's violence-perhaps most notably for incest and rape survivors- the shift feminism enables, from individual pathology to systematic analysis, is empowering rather than threatening."- Lisa Maria Hogeland

This reminds me a ton of the SlutWalks, created because a police officer told some women that if they don't want to get raped they shouldn't dress in "inviting clothing".  Origin of SlutWalks

This reminded me immediately of SlutWalks because it was created in response to a derogotory term used towards women, regarding the way they appear, and the fact that a police officer thought it was reasonable to blame the victim.  The victims then chose to act in a way that no one expected them to.  They took to the streets with their heels and push up bras and protested being thought of as having "asked" to be raped and violated.  They stirred up cities from coast to coast and got their powerful, if not strange, message out to the world, inspiring other victims along the way.

To the class, I would like to bring up the topic of SlutWalks, because although I find them inspiring, other people have found them crude, vulgar, and pointless.  Some people have even said they believe that SlutWalks are just excuses for girls to put on tiny skirts and walk around the street.  I am curious as to how many people feel this way, especially ranging in gender, age group, and background. 

3 comments:

  1. I am going to be totally honest I had no idea what a slutwalk was. I won't lie i am pretty uneducated on this topic so I look forward to learning alot from you and the class as a whole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Slutwalks... But I am looking forward to learning about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add to this, I agree with Heather and Amanda. I have never heard of Slutwalks either. Its crazy/cool for these people to put themselves out there like that and stand for what they believe in :)

    ReplyDelete