Thursday, October 13, 2011

Argument of Barbara Smith's Racism and Women's Studies

This author, Barbara Smith, argues as one of her main points in her article Racism and Women's Studies that "white women"  are racist, but do not realize it.  I honestly do not believe this is true at all.  To me, this article just sounds like Ms. Smith is trying to hunt down every reason other white women dislike black women, and turn it into a reason why white women need to be more educated.  Quite frankly, I  zfound this article to be rather irritating to read.  While I do not disagree that black and white women have things to learn about each other, I do disagree that we are all still racist and do not know how to socialize with women of a different color.  I think it would not be difficult to get women of all colors and "races" together to rally for total feminist rights.  I think that "black" women and "white" women could find things to teach each other about their roles in feminism, and how their cultures come into play.  However, overall I found Ms. Smith's argument to be largely invalid.

What I would like to bring up to the class is an issue that we talked about in my Biological Anthropology class.  Race does not exist.  It is a man-made, false concept which was created to assign new meaning to social order and class.  I think if we focused on that, instead of bringing "races" together, we could get a lot more done.  Why should someone be picked on because they have darker or lighter skin?  It makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment